Class A uniforms — Class A is the Khaki BSA Shirt, neckerchief, and pants. Blue jeans are fine but you may want to consider Scout pants and/or shorts.
Essentials for every campout:
- Boots/tennis shoes—When appropriate
- A good sleeping bag–at least a temperature rating of 20 degrees
- A sleeping pad — foam rolls work well and aren’t super expensive
- Backpack/duffel bag
- Mess kit (plate, utensils and cup)
- 2 water bottles (Nalgenes)
- Rain gear
- Matches and fire starter
- Sun block
- Mosquito spray
- And any other personal gear
Read more for essentials for cold weather camping
Troop 50 Provides:
- Tents and Dinning Fly’s
- Food — will be purchased with camping fees on a per campout basis
- Cooking Equipment
If you have any questions on what you need to purchase please ask. You can also refer to the Scout Handbook as a guideline for personal gear selection.
Remember that your Scout Account can be used to purchase camping equipment. Click here to read about Scout Accounts.
When purchasing new gear, we highly recommend REI. They have a great selection and low prices. They will also take the time to get equipment down and have you try it out and fit it to your boys so that you get an accurate item. Also, you can return any item you purchase for up to a year (confirm the time because it can change).